Thursday, April 30, 2009

Fresh Lemon Sorbet








For Christmas I got an electric icecream maker. I have loved using it. You keep the bowl part in the freezer and then when you are ready to make it , take it out and just add your icecream or sorbet mix, turn it on and it is ready in 25 minutes. No ice and salt mess, clean-up is easy and bowl goes right back to the freezer.

I had a baby shower luncheon a few weeks ago and tried this recipe.
It was so refreshing and delicious. I scooped it out using an icecream scoop and topped it with fresh berries. It makes my mouth water just thinking about it.
We have made it several times since. I just put it in the freezer and take a scoop out and add some water and have an instant frozen lemonade drink.
Fresh Lemon Sorbet

Makes 14 1/2 cup servings

3 cups sugar
3 cups water
2 1/4 cups freshly squeezed lemon juice (9 - 10 large lemons)
1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped lemon zest

Instructions
Combine the sugar and water in a large saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer without stirring until the sugar dissolves, about 3 to 5 minutes. Cool completely. This is called a simple syrup, and may be made ahead in larger quantities to have on hand for making Fresh Lemon Sorbet. Keep refrigerated until ready to use.

When cool, add the lemon juice and zest; stir to combine. Turn the machine on. Pour the lemon mixture into the freezer bowl, and mix until the mixture thickens, about 25 to 30 minutes. The sorbet will have a soft texture similar to a freshly scooped Italian ice. If a firmer consistency is desired, transfer the sorbet to an airtight container and place in freezer for about 2 hours.

Remove from freezer about 15 minutes before serving.

6 comments:

Amber said...

Yummy. I'll have to make that sometime. Or steal some from you!

erica said...

What an awesome treat for this hot Texas Summer!

Kelli said...

YUMMR

Carrie said...

That sounds good, I guess I need to add an ice cream machine to my wish list!

Janine said...

I think I'll have to try this - if we ever get warm weather.

Jenny said...

I'm going to try this one. I'm sure anything you make is Yummy!